09 November 2015

Hazel's Birth Story

I woke up at 2:45am with contractions about 2-3 minutes apart. These were intense and in my back, like with Caroline and Quinn, and nothing like the contractions of the past 2 days. I knew this was the real thing and we would be meeting our baby girl today! We waited about an hour, working through contractions on our own and getting things ready. John was kind of in panic mode and insisted on timing and writing down every contraction, then freaking out that they were so close together. :)


We called my mom, my sister, and the midwives and they all headed our direction. It was really happening!!

Kat was my doula and she was so great! She worked hard all day to help me change positions, stay motivated, and be as comfortable as possible.

John is an amazing labor coach and also worked hard to help me. Each labor has been so different, but he's been amazing through all 3 of them and I couldn't have done it without him.

Since we had picked up Bella the night before, she ended up being home all day and she did great with all of the commotion!


The midwives arrived and got the room set up. So exciting!




Smiles between contractions :)

My mom has also been there for all 3 births and I love having her there. There's just something about your mom being there that makes everything better.







The water was nice, but things didn't seem to be progressing. So I got back out of the water for more walking. After a little rest and a few more position changes, I was feeling like pushing was near. So I got back in the water, hoping we would be meeting our little girl soon!


Fast forward about 45 minutes (I think?) and she is here!!! Born at 2:01pm, about 11 hours after labor began, in the water and still in her amniotic sac. Her daddy caught her underwater and passed her to me. And she was screaming!! It was an amazing delivery and everything I had hoped for. It was SO different from being in the hospital. No chaos, no equipment, no bright lights, no yelling and telling me when to push. She was surrounded by people that love her with praise music playing in the background, delivered right into her daddy's hands and then into mommy's arms. So beautiful.

We waited for the cord to stop pulsing and got to know our baby girl. I got covered up so Papa could meet his newest grandbaby.

John cut the cord and they got her out of the water to warm up on her daddy's chest.

Look at that sweet face!

While I rested, Kim did the newborn exam. Hazel was 7lbs 4oz and 21 inches long. 





She made me work hard for these snuggles :)

On of the highlights of the home birth was definitely the herbal bath. It was a sweet time of bonding with my baby girl and just getting to know each other while we relaxed in a warm herbal bath.


Hazel Lillian, the day you were born is one I will never forget. It was a long, hard day. But a beautiful one in so many ways....mostly because we got to meet your sweet face. We love you more than you'll ever know and are so blessed to be your parents. Happy Birth Day!!

No comments: